Saturday, October 1, 2011

Ian Is Reading!

We finally paid a visit to GDBaby for a refresher course, after procrastinating for so long.  I attended the advanced class first, because I wanted to see how to get back on track with the GD program with Ian. 

Since Ian already knew quite a number of words, I was given a simple book to "test" Ian's proficiency in reading.  To my surprise, he could read most of the book.  When he came across a new word, he would try to sound out by looking at the beginning letters, though he might not get the pronounciation correct eventually.  Hubby said he was looking at the picture and second-guessing the words though.  So, Ian was asked to participate in the demonstration on how to do word-play.  And the instructor concluded that Ian was already reading

He did not have to continue with the GD method any more, but we just had to expose him to a big variety of books, and to try to get him to read books with more words and less pictures.  Since Ian already knew the numerals, we did not have to do the Math program with him too, but just to expose him to all the concepts that we ourselves knew.  The world is the limit now.

Before leaving, I had a brief refresher on the method for a newborn.  I hope that with Isabelle, I would get more use out of the cards.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails