Sunday, July 1, 2012

New Food Introduced @ 11 Months

As Isabelle approaches the big one year old mark, she is now able to eat a lot more varieties of food.

What she has been trying for the first time this month:


  • Chia Seed - A super nutritious seed that I just discovered while reading up the ingredients on a Happy Baby food pouch.  It has benefits such as helping to lose weight and balancing blood sugar level, but there are others more relevant to a baby.  The omega-3s in chia seed is more than salmon (by weight), and these seeds are very high in antioxidants. Unlike flax seeds which I had added into Ian's diet when he was a baby, chia seeds do not turn rancid that easily and can store for much longer!  I do not make chia gel for Isabelle.  Instead, I simply sprinkle some on top of her cereal or porridge.



  • Purple Sweet Potato - An "exotic-looking" variation of the normal sweet potatoes that I usually get to see in wet markets.  I stumbled across this in a Sheng Siong supermarket while waiting for Ian's holiday art class to end.  It was a good thing that I bought one of those, as I had not had the luck to see it again elsewhere.  Isabelle appeared to love this, as she always finished the porridge whenever I added a cube in it.
  • Cherries
  • Kiwi

I have also been adding a breakfast meal to her diet as she neared her birthday (she normally had only milk), since her appetite seemed to have increased.  I would add a food pouch or half of it to cereal, as she had been rejecting the taste of pure cereal.  Otherwise, if I had a ripe avocado on hand, I would blend it with mashed tofu.  She had also rejected blended avocado with only cereal, unless I added mashed tofu.  I wondered if it was because she didn't like a very smooth texture, but preferred to have something to chew on?

Anyway, as she neared her first birthday, we could be a bit more relaxed on her food and let her try more things off our plate.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails