Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Let's Cut Paper!

From somewhere in the middle of last year, Ian has been exposed to the operation of a scissors.  Because he joined the 2007 class at LNT, he got to use a metal blade scissors to cut strips of papers in the class.  He was pretty clueless on how to use them and we had to guide him in the class, to the extend of cutting for him.

When I got to know about the Kumon workbooks, I was excited to find the book for working on cutting skills.  This was bought somewhere in June 2010, if my memory served me well.


My mom had also purchased a pair of plastic scissors for Ian to practise, but both Ian and I gave up on it after trying it out a few times.  My next purchase for Ian was the Maped plastic scissors from Popular, since it looked pretty decent.  We gave up after a few tries again.  I went ahead to order the Friskars plastic one from Amazon, and it was the same with the previous ones.  I decided that we were not fated to use plastic blades, and ordered a Friskars metal bladed scissors from Amazon.  This was indeed the best one for Ian.

We supervised over him like a hawk in the first few months of teaching him to operate the scissors.  We had gone through the Kumon's first book workbook for cutting, along side with the follow-up workbook More Let's Cut Paper, as and when I saw that he needed extra practices in certain areas.

Finally, we had completed one workbook after the few months of effort!  Ian was able to cut out the animal shapes at the back of the book without much help from us now.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails